I bought my new bike

Feed 22 posts, 5 voices
Start New Topic Start New Topic

Posted Feb 26, 2012 06:29AM

It's the SRAM Force 2012 crankset
http://www.sram.com/sram/road/products/sram-force-crankset#/path/term-id/147
So yes, it appears to be carbon. I got new shoes, too (the old ones almost three years old falling apart inside) and new pedals (different style cleats). It feels good where the cleats are right now (did 84 miles yesterday) but I will be going in for a Retül fit soon.

Definitely do something fun. If the single track racing sounds fun, then do it!

Posted Mar 07, 2012 06:16AM

Starting to build the single speed bike tonight. I will keep a brake on it but for the most part I'm told braking is back pedal pressure on the bike. I'm going to have to find a great gear rear ratio for the bike I'm thinking 46 front 26 rear. When your out on flats what rear casette are you on? #3? 26T ratio of 47.8 That will be my first go.go.go. I might have to increase the rear to 28t.
Fixed rear no cleats or your done. Always pedal, pedal, pedal... That's what I find interesting.
Hope the new ride is absolutely different from your last.
Chris.
What's your avg per hr? Can you get past 16mph? after a 80mile?

Posted Mar 07, 2012 06:34AM

Are you on Strava.com? I log my rides there. I have had some very good rides since getting the new bike. The way Strava tracks things, it compares "segments" I've ridden over time, so I can see when I'm doing much better.

Average speed of course depends on the route. I did do an 85 miler a couple of Friday's ago solo ride that I averaged just above 16 mph. Not a stupendous ride for me, but I wasn't going all out (Have done a century in Palm Springs a year ago at an 18.4 mph average...again this certainly depends on the elevation profile...also on wind, drafting, etc...).

I'm having issues with my rear cassette. It won't stay on the 11 cog for me. I took it to the shop last week and they supposedly fixed it, but it's not fixed. Taking it back again this Friday. I have a bike fit appointment and I have a century ride on Saturday (flat profile with a group...we are riding conservatively...which is fine at this point in my race season). I have only ridden about 300 miles on the new bike so far. Still getting to know the bike. It was absolutely not a mistake, though, to get the compact crank and the 11-28 cassette. I road up Old Mt. Baldy Rd to Shinn Rd this past Sunday, and definitely needed that low gear.

Posted Mar 08, 2012 08:09PM

If the chain stays almost on but retreats back to 10 loosen the bottom silver phillips head screw 1/4 turn counter clockwise. you will have 2 phillip screws. You will need a small screw driver but not super small. If the chain passes cog 11 and jams between frame and cog 1/4 turn clockwise. Done.... You might need a little more than a 1/4 turn 1/2. Its easy!

Posted Mar 09, 2012 11:35PM

Last night when I read your post I thought, "Easy for you, but not for me." Anyhow, I had to go to the shop today for a bike fit appointment that I had scheduled a while back and while it was there I was going to get the mechanic to look at the gearing issues. He decided to warranty out my brand new cassette. Said he finally was able to make it jump on the 11-tooth cog and that it was acting (in his words) like a worn out cog even though it was brand new. He swapped on a 12-27 loaner cassette for me to use for a week or so while the warrantied one is exchanged. So it looks like it wasn't something I could've fixed even if I'd worked up the nerve to mess around with it like you said.

Posted Mar 10, 2012 03:35AM

You are right. the cassette was miss aligned on cog 11. If you were to look at the cassette each cog has a dimple that lets the chain pass over to the next cog. These dimples were to close not allowing the chain to pass over. And adjusting the derailleur would not have help.
Good Job!

Posted Mar 10, 2012 03:39AM

Yes, he thought alignment might be part of the issue. He was putting in a 1 mm spacer in the deraileur...said this was a known issue with SRAM deraileurs that had been acknowledged by the company. But in this case the spacer was not enough to help, although he has left it on the bike for the time being. Anyhow, I did a short 3-mile test ride today and it shifted solid and did not jump. Good thing, since I'm riding a century tomorrow.

Posted Mar 10, 2012 04:56AM

Sweet.... Enjoy.... And please draft your ass behind the first guy to stay at 19mph. Wheel suck'em the whole way! Watch his chainring and hand movement. Than hit the gas the last 20! You will win. Guessing your avg for 100mph will be 16.8mph. Let me know if I'm on target. KIck some booty!!! I wish my family was out on the field to cheer you on.
Chris

Posted Mar 10, 2012 05:17AM

Heheh. This isn't that kind of century ride. Although I've done one at an 18.4 mph avg before (Palm Springs last year) and yes, I did push that one hard and suck a lot of wheels. (Took a few turns pulling, too.) But tomorrow is a group ride and we are hoping to average 17 mph but some of the people in our group might be slower and we're trying to kind of stay together and be nice. It's more of a training ride. Regardless, I'm looking forward to it. It is still base-building part of the training season for me.

Posted Mar 10, 2012 06:14AM

That's good to hear. As I was walking our standard poodle for a goodnight walk I was remembering a race from 92 when the euro's came to Connecticut for a money race. Greenwich CT of course. 5000 purse. Big event I was all excited because I had just finished a PCH trip from Florence Oregon to San Diego. I was in my prime. I thought this would be a piece of cake. I was drafting a french guy. My front wheel lapping across his rear axle. around the 25mile marker he let out 5 to 6 feet of TP. The paper flew right into my rear cassette and jammed me up to the point of stopping and pulling what I could out. I rode with only the top 4 rear cogs. I never caught him and was never able to confront him at the podium. I got second. I will never ever forget that wheezel for what he did. Just plain dirty... I'm sure times has changed but for the pursuit of a large purse has that changed? That was my last money racer.

User_go Please login or signup to post a reply.

Group Voices

Underwater Tag Cloud

1650 Aaron Peirsol active drag active recoveryswimming Adam DeJong aerobic endurance age-group Amanda Beard anchoring android Android app ascending sendoff ascending sendoffs Ashley Delaney backstroke balance Barry Murphy beach reading bilateral breathing birthday swim blueseventy Bobby Savulich Body Shape bodyline brain training breakout breaststroke breath control breathing Brendan Hansen broken swims buoy butterfly Carlos Almeida catch challenge set coaches coaching combat side stroke competition crossover turn Cullen Jones Cullen JonesKarlyn Pipes-Neilsen cycle rate Dave Denniston descend set distance per cycle distance training dive dolphin dolphin kick Dominik Meichtry DragSox Drills dryland DVD efficiency eggbeater kick Endless Pools Eric Shanteau Eric Vendt etiquette EVF fatigue feel Finis finisFinis finish fins fist drill flip turn flip turns flutter kick Fran Crippen freestyle gallop stroke goals goswimtv.com hand entry hand exit head position heart rate hips hybrid IM inner strength iPhone app Jason Lezak Jeff Rouse Jessica Hardy Kaitlin Sandeno Kara Lynn Joyce Karlyn Pipes-Neilsen Kevin Clements kick kids Kim Vandenberg learn-to-swim Lia Neal long axis strokes loping Margaret Hoelzer Martyn Forde masters Matt Patton medball Michael Phelps middle distance Misty Hyman mobile video monofin negative split neural Olympics one-hour swim open turns open water Over training pace pace clock paddles paralympics parents passive drag propulsion pull pulling pulse rates pushoffs pyramid questiontaper race specific training Rachel Stratton-Mills racing recovery relay starts resisted swimming rhythm Ricky Berens Robert Margalis Roland Schoeman Roque Santos rotation same sendoff Sara McLarty science Scott Tucker sculling SEALs shoulders sighting snorkel speed work sprint Staciana Stitts Starts stations Steve Haufler straight arm recovery streaming streamline stretch cord stretching stroke count stroke rate subscription support swim across america swim camps swim fun swim technique swim training swim video swimming Swimming Golf swimming music Swimsense swimsuit taper teaching Tempo Trainer tether timing training Triathlon tuck turn Turns underwater dolpin underwater pull Vasa water poloswimming water temp weights work to rest ratio Wu Peng

Who is GoSwim?

We are a group of swimmers who swim really fast, and like to help others learn how to reach their competitive potential in the area of professional swimming.

Want More GoSwim?

Subscribe to our RSS feed Subscribe to our RSS feed

built by devtwo