- Receive one GoSwim video every week day
- New theme each week
- We choose, you get it delivered in your in-box
Become A Better Swimmer
Subscribe to GoSwim and gain access to thousands of videos that will help increase your swimming knowledge.
Find the techniques and fine points that will help you individualize your stroke for better performance.
The more you know, the faster you'll go
Let's get you signed in so you can keep swimming
If you want great underwaters, you have to start with the right angle. Here's a drill that's fun for kids, and teaches good habits.
Why do it:
The angle you leave the wall can help you set up for some great underwater dolphin kicks. If you're too shallow, you may miss out on one of the most important aspects of swimming.
How to do it:
1) Each time you push off the wall, have the coach set a target, we're using the 2nd line. When the swimmers leave the wall, their goal is to go all the way to the bottom and push off at the specified spot. They then push off the bottom and continue swimming.
2) When they get pretty good at that, we move the target out to the next line, or the next spot. Leave the wall, and push off to the bottom at that spot, push off the bottom and continue swimming.
3) For the older athletes, we move the target WAY out, making them stay down longer, and work their kicks. Same idea as above, only further out.
How to do it really well (the fine points):
Once you learn that the angle you leave the wall is important, incorporate this into your daily swimming. While it may take you a little while to do this as good as our demonstrator, 2008 & 2012 US Olympian Ricky Berens... but it certainly something to shoot for.